Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Tavern Song

Around me I was glancing,As I stood and watched you dancing,
I have come to the conclusion that you're not the one for me.
I don't get lost in eyes a’ sparklin', Or your smiles and coyly flirtin’,
And I can't conceive a reason to desire your company.

You walk around here lookin' pretty,
Saying things so cute and witty,
Grabbing up all the attention of the ones who come your way.
I’m unmoved by your warm beauty,
Your swaying hips mean nothing to me,
And though intoxicated by you, I could clearly walk away.

Try as I may I can't imagine any reason I'd be standing here
A waiting to be blessed with just a glance that's turned my way.
There is no lass that I can see, for whom I'd give up being free,
Please take your chains right off of me and I'll surely run away.

You walk on by so sweet and sassy,
To rosy lips you touched your glass and
I was not reduced to silence by your tantalizing gaze.
I’ve no desire to get to know you,
Or to take you out and show you,
A thing or two with which the two of us could occupy our days.

I swear I’ll not stare at your figure,
Or ask the barkeep “Who came with her”
I can think of many better things to occupy my time.
I’ll sit here and drink my whiskey,
So that the lady that’s here with me,
Doesn’t see me looking at you and then end my mortal life.

Try as I may I can't imagine any reason I'd be standing here
A waiting to be blessed with just a glance that's my way turned.
There is no lass of which I’ve heard, for whom I'd give my life with her,
Please take your chains right off of me and I’m sure your love I’ll spurn.

No comments:

Post a Comment